Roblox, Senior Backend Web Engineer - Core Services, San Mateo, CA
Join an amazing team that’s building the future of play. Every month, over 64 million active players come together on Roblox to imagine, create, and play in immersive 3D worlds. Roblox allows anyone to build the ultimate theme park, compete as a professional race car driver, star in a fashion show, become a superhero, or simply build a dream home and hang out with friends. Today more than 29 million user-generated games and experiences have been published on the platform, all developed by a talented community of 1.9 million creators.
Our ambition is to build a global infrastructure to rival that of any top social network out there. We currently operate thousands of servers in data centers all over the globe. Over the next few years, we expect our server count to grow by a factor of 3 or more.
As a Senior Backend Web Engineer on the Core Services team, you’ll play a critical role in helping us to architect, design, and build a foundation for the next generation of internal and public facing API services. We are looking for exceptional engineers with a deep knowledge of distributed systems, cross-platform software development, and an understanding of what it takes to truly create innovative, thoroughly tested, well-documented and easy-to-use frameworks that others can build on top of. You will be joining an awesome team that owns multiple widely used core Platform technologies, including our internal microservices framework, public facing API services framework, Pub-Sub messaging, authentication, code analysis tools and more.
- Experienced: you have a Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent professional experience) in Computer Science or a related engineering field and at least 8 years of hands-on experience
- A solid programmer: you are skilled in a multitude of programming and scripting languages, such as C#, Java, C++ and Ruby
- Passionate about unit testing and automation. TDD fans welcome.
- Ambitious: you boldly go where no person has gone before; Redis, ASP.NET Core, AWS Lambda, InfluxDB, etc. might not be technologies you’ve used, but you are keen to learn and grow
- Up-to-speed on all things Cloud: you have working experience with public cloud solutions such as AWS, GCP, or Azure
- Experienced with addressing performance issues across the whole stack from applications to operating systems
- Well versed in network applications and their related technologies (TCP/IP, HTTP, Oauth 2.0, OpenID, JSON, Web Token, JOSE, x509 certificates, REST)
- Collaborative: you are enthusiastic about working effectively with people from different teams across Roblox.
- Develop and deliver groundbreaking, flexible, easy-to-use, well-documented, modular frameworks that provide an awesome experience for the engineers that use them
- Create, influence, and improve the development platform, infrastructure, and standards to ensure scalability and high availability
- Identify and solve critical problems and prevent them from reoccurring via root cause analysis and automation
- Participate in the design and implementation of next generation systems
- Provide detailed, constructive design and code reviews
- Evangelize best practices in software development and end-to-end architecture
Perks & Benefits:
- Working on unique projects that are seen - and enjoyed - by millions of active Roblox users every day
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- Free catered lunches five times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks (Nom nom nom.)
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual CalTrain Go Pass
- A super-cool Roblox Admin badge for your avatar
- Rock star status with our community (No autographs, please.)
Roblox is the largest social platform for play that allows kids to imagine, create, and play together in immersive 3D worlds. Over 29 million user-generated online games have been produced on the Roblox platform with over 64 million monthly active players visiting Roblox every month to create adventures, play games, role-play, and learn with friends in a family-friendly environment. Roblox is accessible on all modern smartphones, tablets, desktops, Xbox One, Oculus Rift, and other popular VR platforms. In 2017, Roblox was named to the Inc. 5000 list of Fastest-Growing Private Companies in America for the second consecutive year.
Roblox – Powering Imagination.