Roblox, Engineering Director - Internationalization, San Mateo, CA
Roblox’s Imagination Platform is ushering in the next generation of entertainment, enabling kids of all ages to imagine, create, and play together in immersive 3D worlds. Powered by a global community of millions of developers and creators, Roblox allows anyone to build, publish, and monetize any experience imaginable.
comScore ranks Roblox as one of the top online entertainment platforms for audiences under the age of 18 based on average monthly visits and time spent. In addition, Roblox has been named one of America’s Fastest-Growing Private Companies on the Inc. 5000 for the past two consecutive years.
Work with the most passionate, team-oriented, visionary, crazy-smart people you’ll ever meet. The engineers at Roblox are working on the hardest problems in tech today -- distributed systems, real time communication, 3D co-experience, massive data processing, social networking, rendering, physics, and more. As a Roblox engineer, you will have real ownership and impact across one or more of these domains.
As the Engineering Director for Internationalization on the Platform Team, you will run multiple teams charged with building core infrastructure and features to support an increasingly international audience. This includes core localization tools and infrastructure used by all engineering teams within Roblox for language translation, backend services to handle realtime machine translation of user communication, changes to the product to satisfy cultural differences or growth opportunities in new regions, and services by which developers on the platform can manage their translations whether manually, crowdsourced, or automatically via machine translation.
This Engineering Director will be a senior leader that will build out a large, multi-team org from the ground up.You Are:
- An experienced technical manager - you have 5+ years experience running engineering teams, preferably multiple engineering teams simultaneously. You have a proven track record running successful teams.
- Experienced with working on a fully localized product - you have dealt with multi-language support and other concerns when localizing a product
- Experienced with building for scale - you have operated at the scale of tens to hundreds of millions of monthly active users
- An experienced coder - you have experience with a compiled language such as C/C++, Java, C#, etc and have spent time working as a developer.
- Technical - You can fully engage with the engineers responsible for writing code and have their respect. You help define the technical vision and roadmap for the codebase.
- Experienced with web technologies - you have worked with backend and frontend web technologies
- Educated - You have a bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or Engineering
- Drive the platform engineering org for internationalization at Roblox
- Hire managers and individual contributors to build this part of the organization
- Help define the patterns and process by which we build tools, infrastructure, and services to provide a seamless experience for both our players and developers.
- Run multiple teams to deliver new features for international markets and provide tools for internal engineering and external developers on the Roblox platform
- Track and improve metrics around performance and stability of core internationalization infrastructure
- Work closely with product and engineering teams to devise technical and product roadmaps
- Mentor engineers and help them succeed and grow their careers
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- Free catered lunches five times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual CalTrain Go Pass
- A super-cool Roblox Admin badge for your avatar
- Rock star status with our community
Roblox – Powering Imagination.