Roblox, Engineering Director - Internationalization, San Mateo, CA
Join an amazing team that’s building the future of play. Every month, over 64 million active players come together on Roblox to imagine, create, and play in immersive 3D worlds. Roblox allows anyone to build the ultimate theme park, compete as a professional race car driver, star in a fashion show, become a superhero, or simply build a dream home and hang out with friends. Today more than 29 million user-generated games and experiences have been published on the platform, all developed by a talented community of 1.9 million creators.
Roblox is growing exponentially and its international audience has been expanding rapidly. We are building teams to both localize and internationalize the platform as well as to provide infrastructure so that all user generated content on Roblox is discoverable and playable in every language.
As the Engineering Director for Internationalization on the Platform Team, you will run multiple teams charged with building core infrastructure and features to support an increasingly international audience. This includes core localization tools and infrastructure used by all engineering teams within Roblox for language translation, backend services to handle realtime machine translation of user communication, changes to the product to satisfy cultural differences or growth opportunities in new regions, and services by which developers on the platform can manage their translations whether manually, crowdsourced, or automatically via machine translation.
This Engineering Director will be a senior leader that will build out a large, multi-team org from the ground up.You Are:
- An experienced technical manager - you have 5+ years experience running engineering teams, preferably multiple engineering teams simultaneously. You have a proven track record running successful teams.
- Experienced with working on a fully localized product - you have dealt with multi-language support and other concerns when localizing a product
- Experienced with building for scale - you have operated at the scale of tens to hundreds of millions of monthly active users
- An experienced coder - you have experience with a compiled language such as C/C++, Java, C#, etc and have spent time working as a developer.
- Technical - You can fully engage with the engineers responsible for writing code and have their respect. You help define the technical vision and roadmap for the codebase.
- Experienced with web technologies - you have worked with backend and frontend web technologies
- Educated - You have a bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or Engineering
- Drive the platform engineering org for internationalization at Roblox
- Hire managers and individual contributors to build this part of the organization
- Help define the patterns and process by which we build tools, infrastructure, and services to provide a seamless experience for both our players and developers.
- Run multiple teams to deliver new features for international markets and provide tools for internal engineering and external developers on the Roblox platform
- Track and improve metrics around performance and stability of core internationalization infrastructure
- Work closely with product and engineering teams to devise technical and product roadmaps
- Mentor engineers and help them succeed and grow their careers
Perks & Benefits:
- Work with an awesome team of smart and motivated people on cool and unique projects that are used by millions of active users every day
- Roblox Admin badge for your avatar and rockstar status with our community
- Free catered lunches 3 times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Robust medical, dental and vision insurance
- Fitness reimbursement program
- 401K program
- Pre-tax commuter program
- Unlimited vacation policy
Roblox is the largest social platform for play that allows kids to imagine, create, and play together in immersive 3D worlds. Over 29 million user-generated online games have been produced on the Roblox platform with over 64 million monthly active players visiting Roblox every month to create adventures, play games, roleplay, and learn with friends in a family-friendly environment. Roblox is accessible on all modern smartphones, tablets, desktops, Xbox One, Oculus Rift, and other popular VR platforms. In 2017, Roblox was named to the Inc. 5000 list of Fastest-Growing Private Companies in America for the second consecutive year.
Roblox – Powering Imagination.