Roblox, Engineering Director for Scalability, San Mateo, CA
Roblox’s imagination platform is ushering in the next generation of entertainment. Roblox enables kids of all ages to imagine, create, and play together in immersive experiences on their phones, desktops, consoles, and VR. Powered by a growing global community of millions of creators, Roblox enables anyone to build, publish, and monetize their creations.
ComScore ranks Roblox as one of the top digital properties in the US for kids under the age of 18 and has been named One of America's Fastest-Growing Private Companies in the Inc. 5000 for two consecutive years.
Work with the most passionate, team-oriented, visionary, and crazy-smart people you’ll ever meet. The engineers at Roblox are working on the hardest problems in tech today -- distributed systems, real time communication, 3D co-experience, massive data processing, social networking, rendering, physics, and more. As a Roblox engineer, you will have real ownership and impact across one or more of these domains.
As the Engineering Director for Scalability on the Platform Team, you will run teams charged with ensuring that the core backend technologies at Roblox will scale with our exponential user growth. We currently have over a million concurrent players at peak, and project 10x growth over the next couple of years.
At Roblox we are currently rebuilding key parts of our infrastructure to conform to new patterns around database access, caching, redundancy, and compartmentalization. As we continue to grow, the scalability org defines and prototypes further iterations on these patterns to support this growth. Additionally, we are solving for deploying to multiple datacenters for disaster recovery, high availability, and performance. You will drive these efforts while pushing for constant improvement on performance, stability, user experience, internal engineering processes, and code bases.
- An experienced technical manager - you have 5+ years experience running engineering teams, preferably multiple engineering teams simultaneously. You have a proven track record running successful teams.
- Experienced with scaling infrastructure through hyper growth - you have helped companies scale from 3 million transactions per second to 30 million transactions per second. You have built infrastructure to support multi-datacenter footprints
- An experienced coder - you have experience with a compiled language such as C/C++, Java, C#, etc and have spent time working as a developer.
- Technical - You can fully engage with the engineers responsible for writing code and have their respect. You help define the technical vision and roadmap for the codebase.
- Experienced with web technologies - you have worked with backend and frontend web technologies
- Educated - You have a bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or Engineering
- Build a world class engineering team by hiring top-notch talent
- Drive the entire scalability org at Roblox
- Help define the patterns and process by which we rebuild key parts of the stack to support a multi-datacenter footprint
- Track and improve metrics around performance and stability of core backend infrastructure
- Run multiple teams to deliver new scaling patterns, mitigate scaling pressure on systems across the stack, and oversee the rewriting of existing systems to support continued exponential platform growth
- Work closely with product and engineering teams to devise technical and product roadmaps
- Mentor engineers and help them succeed and grow their careers
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- Free catered lunches five times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual CalTrain Go Pass
- A super-cool Roblox Admin badge for your avatar
- Rock star status with our community
Roblox – Powering Imagination.