Roblox, Engineering Director for Scalability, San Mateo, CA
Join an amazing team that’s building the future of play. Every month, over 64 million active players come together on Roblox to imagine, create, and play in immersive 3D worlds. Roblox allows anyone to build the ultimate theme park, compete as a professional race car driver, star in a fashion show, become a superhero, or simply build a dream home and hang out with friends. Today more than 29 million user-generated games and experiences have been published on the platform, all developed by a talented community of 1.9 million creators.
As the Engineering Director for Scalability on the Platform Team, you will run teams charged with ensuring that the core backend technologies at Roblox will scale with our exponential user growth. We currently have over a million concurrent players at peak, and project 10x growth over the next couple of years.
At Roblox we are currently rebuilding key parts of our infrastructure to conform to new patterns around database access, caching, redundancy, and compartmentalization. As we continue to grow, the scalability org defines and prototypes further iterations on these patterns to support this growth. Additionally, we are solving for deploying to multiple datacenters for disaster recovery, high availability, and performance. You will drive these efforts while pushing for constant improvement on performance, stability, user experience, internal engineering processes, and code bases.
- An experienced technical manager - you have 5+ years experience running engineering teams, preferably multiple engineering teams simultaneously. You have a proven track record running successful teams.
- Experienced with scaling infrastructure through hyper growth - you have helped companies scale from 3 million transactions per second to 30 million transactions per second. You have built infrastructure to support multi-datacenter footprints
- An experienced coder - you have experience with a compiled language such as C/C++, Java, C#, etc and have spent time working as a developer.
- Technical - You can fully engage with the engineers responsible for writing code and have their respect. You help define the technical vision and roadmap for the codebase.
- Experienced with web technologies - you have worked with backend and frontend web technologies
- Educated - You have a bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or Engineering
- Build a world class engineering team by hiring top-notch talent
- Drive the entire scalability org at Roblox
- Help define the patterns and process by which we rebuild key parts of the stack to support a multi-datacenter footprint
- Track and improve metrics around performance and stability of core backend infrastructure
- Run multiple teams to deliver new scaling patterns, mitigate scaling pressure on systems across the stack, and oversee the rewriting of existing systems to support continued exponential platform growth
- Work closely with product and engineering teams to devise technical and product roadmaps
- Mentor engineers and help them succeed and grow their careers
Perks & Benefits:
- Work with an awesome team of smart and motivated people on cool and unique projects that are used by millions of active users every day
- Robust medical, dental and vision insurance
- 401k program
- Unlimited vacation policy
- Free catered lunches 3 times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Fitness reimbursement program
- Pre-tax commuter program
- Roblox Admin badge for your avatar and rockstar status with our community
Roblox is the largest social platform for play that allows kids to imagine, create, and play together in immersive 3D worlds. Over 29 million user-generated online games have been produced on the Roblox platform with over 64 million monthly active players visiting Roblox every month to create adventures, play games, roleplay, and learn with friends in a family-friendly environment. Roblox is accessible on all modern smartphones, tablets, desktops, Xbox One, Oculus Rift, and other popular VR platforms. In 2017, Roblox was named to the Inc. 5000 list of Fastest-Growing Private Companies in America for the second consecutive year.
Roblox – Powering Imagination.