Roblox, Principal Software Engineer - Cloud Game Development Team, San Mateo, CA
Join an amazing team that’s building the future of play. Every month, over 64 million active players come together on Roblox to imagine, create, and play in immersive 3D worlds. Roblox allows anyone to build the ultimate theme park, compete as a professional race car driver, star in a fashion show, become a superhero, or simply build a dream home and hang out with friends. Today more than 29 million user-generated games and experiences have been published on the platform, all developed by a talented community of 1.9 million creators.
Roblox's engineering team is growing rapidly and we are looking for great engineering managers to help us scale. This role will contribute to the advancement of our flagship product, Roblox Studio, the product at the origin of all games on the Roblox platform. Thousands of developers use Roblox Studio daily to build their immersive, three dimensional games and environments that entertain millions of players. At Roblox we move fast and ship code to production weekly; thanks to our ingenious engineering team we can sustain this rapid pace while delivering state of the art high quality software. Our engineers band together in small autonomous teams where every engineer bears a great level of responsibility for their team success and has a lot of say in the decision making process. The teams are inclusive, helpful, and have a strong sense of ownership over the things they build. If you have a desire to grow and learn, you will fit right in with our highly-skilled and ever-expanding production engineering team.
As a Principal Software Engineer for the Cloud Game Development Team, you will utilize your deep experience in software architecture, design patterns and best coding practices to accelerate the evolution of Roblox Studio, a cloud-based, distributed game development application. Roblox Studio breaks new ground for the gaming industry and software engineering in general. It facilitates instant synchronization between game developers, enables multi-party script editing, and manages a cloud-based repository.
- A Leader with experience supporting mission-critical applications on a large scale
- A Technology Expert, with a proven record of developing and deploying complex software for massive cloud-based systems.
- Experienced, with a development track record at multiple companies. 10+ years in a technology leader roles, and a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, or a similar technical field
- Hands-on with C++ and Boost libraries, multithreading and networking, QT/QML, MFC or other UI frameworks for desktop applications
- Familiar with .NET web application stack, MS SQL or other database technologies at scale.
- Proficient with industry standards, best practices and design patterns
- Focused on writing clear, readable, testable, modular, and monitored code
- Passionate about working on large scale, consumer facing desktop application
- Collaborative with excellent communication skills and follow-through
- Organized and analytical with the ability to track numerous separate threads to their appropriate resolution
- Own and deliver complex technical projects from the planning stage through execution
- Work cross functionally, across teams and technology platforms
- Mentor team members helping them improve their professional skills and expertise
- Design, develop, and implement technological practices, patterns, and strategies
- Create unit and integration tests
- Participate in building the world's best professional application for massively multiplayer game development
Perks & Benefits:
- Work with an awesome team of smart and motivated people on cool and unique projects that are used by millions of active users every day
- Robust medical, dental and vision insurance
- 401k program
- Unlimited vacation policy
- Free catered lunches 3 times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Fitness reimbursement program
- Pre-tax commuter program
- Roblox Admin badge for your avatar and rockstar status with our community
Roblox is the largest social platform for play that allows kids to imagine, create, and play together in immersive 3D worlds. Over 29 million user-generated online games have been produced on the Roblox platform with over 64 million monthly active players visiting Roblox every month to create adventures, play games, roleplay, and learn with friends in a family-friendly environment. Roblox is accessible on all modern smartphones, tablets, desktops, Xbox One, Oculus Rift, and other popular VR platforms. In 2017, Roblox was named to the Inc. 5000 list of Fastest-Growing Private Companies in America for the second consecutive year.
Roblox – Powering Imagination.