Roblox, Engineering Manager, Language Runtimes, San Mateo, CA
Join an amazing team that’s building the future of play. Every month, over 64 million active players come together on Roblox to imagine, create, and play in immersive 3D worlds. Roblox allows anyone to build the ultimate theme park, compete as a professional race car driver, star in a fashion show, become a superhero, or simply build a dream home and hang out with friends. Today more than 29 million user-generated games and experiences have been published on the platform, all developed by a talented community of 1.9 million creators.
We are looking to raise the programming bar across the board for games on the Roblox platform. As an Engineering Manager, Language Runtimes you will grow and lead a team of top-notch engineers from the front, as we make the Roblox programming model an industry leader for dynamic content. You will harness the creativity of user-generated games and apply industry-leading algorithms and methods to enable user-developers to build something that’s amazing, whether the target platform is mobile, desktop, console or VR. This is very much a player-coach position, working on a highly visible part of the Roblox developer experience.
- A language nerd: Virtual machines, type annotations, dynamic scopes and garbage collection all bring joy to your life
- A strong coach: Some management experience with an empathetic ear and ability to identify and solve small problems before they become big problems
- Platform oriented: Capable of delivering long term value and accepting short-term solutions for what they are
- Organized: Able to drive multiple parallel complex projects to successful completion
- Curious and flexible: You delight in tackling challenges created by the ever-changing user-created games landscape
- Experienced in constrained platforms: Mobile and lightweight, perhaps even consoles; probably with a variety of languages like F#, Java, Haskell, Lua, Python, Swift, TypeScript, or others
- A C++ engineer: Deep experience in writing well performing C++ code that gets the best results out of the available hardware. C# experience highly desired
- An embedded scripting expert with experience from one or more embeddable language runtimes (bonus for Lua, Mono, and/or CoreCLR)
- Build a team of talented runtime engineers in the charge to make the Roblox language systems the world’s leading dynamic world platform
- Lead an effort to transform how developers program Roblox games
- Collaborate with Roblox stakeholders to own and deliver the roadmap to improve development and runtime speed, ease debugging, reduce memory usage, and support developers
- Write and debug C++ code as a lead contributor on the team
- Add type annotations to the Lua scripting engine currently underlying the success of Roblox games
- Integrate a new runtime to add support for C# as a core language that scales to bigger games and bigger development teams
Perks & Benefits:
- Work with an awesome team of smart and motivated people on cool and unique projects that are used by millions of active users every day
- Robust medical, dental and vision insurance
- 401k program
- Unlimited vacation policy
- Free catered lunches 3 times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Fitness reimbursement program
- Pre-tax commuter program
- Roblox Admin badge for your avatar and rockstar status with our community
Roblox is the largest social platform for play that allows kids to imagine, create, and play together in immersive 3D worlds. Over 29 million user-generated online games have been produced on the Roblox platform with over 64 million monthly active players visiting Roblox every month to create adventures, play games, roleplay, and learn with friends in a family-friendly environment. Roblox is accessible on all modern smartphones, tablets, desktops, Xbox One, Oculus Rift, and other popular VR platforms. In 2017, Roblox was named to the Inc. 5000 list of Fastest-Growing Private Companies in America for the second consecutive year.
Roblox – Powering Imagination.