Roblox, Technical Artist, San Mateo, CA
Roblox’s imagination platform is ushering in the next generation of entertainment. Roblox enables kids of all ages to imagine, create, and play together in immersive experiences on their phones, desktops, consoles, and VR. Powered by a growing global community of millions of creators, Roblox enables anyone to build, publish, and monetize their creations.
ComScore ranks Roblox as one of the top digital properties in the US for kids under the age of 18 and has been named One of America's Fastest-Growing Private Companies in the Inc. 5000 for two consecutive years.
Work with the most passionate, team-oriented, visionary, and crazy-smart people you’ll ever meet.
As a Technical Artist, you’ll be working with a team of talented artists and engineers spearheading new technical challenges to both improve the workflow of internal artists, but also to provide external users/developers more agency. As part of the team, you’d also be involved in the continued growth of our world class Imagination Platform, and our ever evolving and improving avatar. If you are experienced and passionate about driving technical vision and improving the production pipeline as the bridge between art and engineering, especially related to avatar or character development, you’ll be right at home within our highly-skilled and growing Avatar team.
- Technically Minded: you have a relevant Bachelor’s degree, with 3-4 years of experience in a technical artists role; preferably with an emphasis on gaming, but not required.
- Proficient: with C++, LUA, MEL, Python, and 3D Math.
- Visual-focused: You have a passion for top notch visuals and want to both improve avatar look and feel while ensuring it will perform well across all platforms.
- Creative: You think strategically and creatively to develop both solutions to existing visual issues, but also for presenting new tools to internal artists and users.
- Team-oriented: Capable of both working with artists needs and maintaining a performant platform with our engineers
- Versatile: You have experience working in both 3D and game engines like Unreal/Unity, and are able to help develop effective tools/plugins within them.
- An experienced multi-tasker: You can handle multiple concurrent projects within Avatar, and able to think of their use holistically.
- Help spearhead improvements to the avatar, both broadening the visual definition of our characters, but also the developer controls over them.
- Assist in the development of internal tools to improve or broaden artistic control, or directly writing them yourself.
- Determine the best pipeline for internal development, and how that will reflect on external versions for UGC.
- Ensure that new features implemented by avatar engineers takes into account the near and long term tech vision of our team.
- Write specific plugins or tools for external software like Maya or Photoshop.
- Ensure all Avatar improvements work holistically with the rest of rendering and is performed on multiple devices, including mobile.
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- Free catered lunches five times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual CalTrain Go Pass
- A super-cool Roblox Admin badge for your avatar
- Rock star status with our community
Roblox – Powering Imagination.