Senior Manager, Data Science & Analytics
San Mateo, CA
Data Science & Analytics Jobs All Jobs
Every day, tens of millions of people from around the world come to Roblox to play, learn, work, and socialize in immersive digital experiences created by the community.
Our vision is to build a platform that enables shared experiences among billions of users. This is what’s known as the metaverse: a persistent space where anyone can do just about anything they can imagine, from anywhere in the world and on any device. The breadth of opportunities, and the evolving demands of this first-of-its-kind platform, ensure that your avenues for growth are always expanding and flexible.
Join us and you’ll usher in a new category of human interaction while solving exceptional challenges that you won’t find anywhere else.
Roblox is ushering in the next generation of entertainment, allowing people to imagine, create, and play together in immersive, user-generated worlds. We’re the one and only fastest-growing entertainment platform that lets anyone teach themselves how to code, publish, and monetize any experience imaginable—across any device—reaching millions of players across the globe.
The impact that you can have at Roblox is powerful. We’re looking for someone who’s eager to take on a meaningful role in the success of Roblox on a massive scale. Someone who takes play seriously, but also isn’t afraid to have some fun either. Someone who’s ready to take Roblox—and their career—to the next level.
In 2021, we were honored to be recognized as a Certified Great Place to Work®. We’ve fostered a company culture that empowers people to do the most defining work of their career in an environment that’s made up of the most passionate, team-oriented, visionary, crazy-smart people you’ll ever meet. Join the Roblox team where play rules and the possibilities are endless.
WHY DATA SCIENCE & ANALYTICS?
The Data Science & Analytics organization’s mission is to increase our speed, frequency and acumen of making decisions at scale by instilling a data-influenced approach to building products. We cover a wide area of the data spectrum including analytical data engineering, product analytics, experimentation, causal inference, statistical modeling and machine learning. Aligned and partnering with product verticals, we use this extensive tool belt to discover new opportunities and unmet use cases, influence and shape the product roadmap and prioritization, build data products and measure impact on our community of players and developers.
WHY SOCIAL AND ROBLOX APP?
This role will lead Data Science and Analytics for two product groups: Social and App.
As a Senior Manager on Social, you will be responsible for extracting insights from Roblox's Social Graph to drive the future of co-experience. You'll partner with product managers, engineers and leaders across the company to better understand how our players form and maintain relationships on our platform.
As a Senior Manager on App, you will work closely with a team of designers and engineers to build a beautiful and optimized platform for co-experience.
- A natural leader. You initiate and drive multiple projects simultaneously. You recruit, build and grow a strong team of data scientists.
- Passionate about scaling decision-making. You have the curiosity and self-drive to continuously learn new techniques and tools to extract value from data. You have a degree in Math, Statistics, Computer Science or other relevant field.
- A strong communicator. You understand that performing decisions at scale raises a plethora of questions. You have the ability to dig into the details and navigate to the 10,000 foot level with ease while explaining technical concepts to non-technical audiences and discuss appropriate tradeoffs.
- Not afraid to occasionally get your hands dirty.
- Always looking to expand your tool belt. You stay knowledgeable about the latest progress in the fields of computer vision, NLP, speech/audio and personalization. You partner with the leaders in the industry to make progress in the fields.
- You understand when to apply the appropriate methodology, tool, framework or more to maximize impact in a pragmatic fashion.
- Own a set of core metrics and accompanying product playbook to drive impact.
- Partner with a suite of VP/Director-level partners in product management and engineering to influence product vision and roadmap, prioritizing the most impactful data science projects.
- Oversee the measurement of Social and App
- Provide direction to build/improve/maintain data products for Social and App
- Grow/coach 10-15 people across multiple teams with skills ranging from product analytics, experimentation, and modeling.
- Grow/coach Tech Leads and Managers
- Balance autonomy with guidance by giving your teams the tools, context, confidence, and motivation to make decisions effectively and independently.
- 5+ years of industry experience in data science
- 3+ years of experience leading data science and analytics teams
- 2+ years of experience in statistical modeling and machine learning
- 3+ years of experience using big data query/processing languages such as SQL, Hive or Spark to transform/manipulate very large datasets
- 3+ years of experience in one or more scripting languages such as Python or R
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Applied Math, Physics, Engineering, Statistics, Economics or other technical field
- 8+ years of industry experience in data science
- 5+ years of experience leading data science and analytics teams
- MS or PhD in Computer Science, Applied Math, Physics, Engineering, Statistics, Economics or other technical field
- 2+ years of industry experience in analytics focused on enhancing products and discovering opportunities
- 2+ years of experience in a fast-paced environment or fast growing company, such as the tech sector
- Experience working with platforms offering infrastructure-as-a-service
- Ability to communicate analytics results and data storytelling to influence product teams and leaders
- Creative thinker able to apply first-principles reasoning to solve complex problems
- Experience doing research, building cutting edge technology, or working on complex technical projects.
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- Free catered lunches five times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual CalTrain Go Pass
- A Roblox Admin badge for your avatar