Principal Software Engineer - Account Authentication
San Mateo, CA
Engineering Jobs All Jobs
Every day, tens of millions of people from around the world come to Roblox to play, learn, work, and socialize in immersive digital experiences created by the community.
Our vision is to build a platform that enables shared experiences among billions of users. This is what’s known as the metaverse: a persistent space where anyone can do just about anything they can imagine, from anywhere in the world and on any device. The breadth of opportunities, and the evolving demands of this first-of-its-kind platform, ensure that your avenues for growth are always expanding and flexible.
Join us and you’ll usher in a new category of human interaction while solving exceptional challenges that you won’t find anywhere else.
The Roblox Account Authentication team provides the front door for the metaverse. We are responsible for signing users up for Roblox on all platforms and subsequently re-authenticating those users when they want to use Roblox after they log out or move to a new device. When we do our job well, Roblox users will have a seamless experience regardless of whether they are using a PC, Android phone, or iOS tablet. Presently we are wrestling with a fundamental business problem: "Assuming that we are heading toward a world where Roblox may be many users' first interaction with the internet and that those users have terrible security habits (giving away their passwords and losing their mobile devices), how can we securely authenticate those users to Roblox or elsewhere?"
As a Principal Software Engineer on Roblox's Account Authentication team you will work with product managers, data scientists and management to decompose our big problem into smaller more tractable problems and subsequently form creative technical solutions. While being an expert in the nuances of client-side development, you will contribute across the entire stack. You will also mentor a small team of more junior peers in navigating ambiguous technical problems, identify technical risks, measure success and generally master the craft of software engineering while delivering improvements on the big problem. You will report to the Senior Engineering Manager of the Account Authentication team.
- 8+ years experience landing large-scale client (windows, android, iOS) development.
- Provided technical leadership to small teams of engineers (4-8).
- 5+ years of experience with one of Java, C#, Objective-C, Swift, Kotlin, or Lua.
- Either experience developing against native clients (Android, iOS, Windows) or cloud services (AWS, Docker, Nomad).
- Landed user facing features that required collaboration with teams and organizations that have different goals and measures of success than your own.
You might have:
- Experience implementing or integrating with OAuth2, OpenIdConnect, FIDO, or other authentication protocols.
- Experience working in account security.
- Experience using public/private key cryptography to solve business problems.
- Experience with AWS and containerization.
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- Free catered lunches five times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual CalTrain Go Pass
- A Roblox Admin badge for your avatar