Every day, tens of millions of people from around the world come to Roblox to play, learn, work, and socialize in immersive digital experiences created by the community.
Our vision is to build a platform that enables shared experiences among billions of users. This is what’s known as the metaverse: a persistent space where anyone can do just about anything they can imagine, from anywhere in the world and on any device. The breadth of opportunities, and the evolving demands of this first-of-its-kind platform, ensure that your avenues for growth are always expanding and flexible.
Join us and you’ll usher in a new category of human interaction while solving exceptional challenges that you won’t find anywhere else.
About this opportunity
Roblox is seeking a Senior Director of Licensing to join our Global Music team. We’re seeking an individual who is passionate and has a vision for how the metaverse can bring innovation to all aspects of the music industry ecosystem allowing all creators to take advantage of new creative and commercial opportunities on Roblox. This role will focus on Roblox’s strategy and negotiations with music labels, publishers and PRO’s – both domestic and international – to ensure a coordinated and best-in-class licensing structure. The ideal candidate will have senior level international experience at a major publisher or major social media or consumer tech platform. They should have deep knowledge of all commercial licensing structures and frameworks currently employed within gaming, music, consumer tech and live streaming. Additional responsibilities include identifying opportunities, evaluating partnerships, structuring and negotiating contracts, ensuring contractual compliance and managing licensor/licensee relationships.
- Build and manage a label and publishing licensing strategy and deal framework with key domestic and international labels, publishers, PRO’s and CMO’s.
- Work with the Global Music team leadership to help conceive new licensing frameworks that support new commercial products and services that will be launched with our music partners.
- Liaise closely with internal and partner marketing teams to license music required for trailers, advertisements, promotions and other media and the budget and time constraints for each.
- Source and license music catalogues for Roblox’s studio catalog for developers.
- Research rights holders for all music events and experiences, including all record labels, artists, publishers, song writers, splits and contact information.
- Draft and execute clearances as well as master and/or synchronization licenses for each rights holder.
- Negotiate license fees for synchronization agreements, master licenses, soundtracks, music library licenses, and renewals that are favorable to Roblox.
- 12+ years in a senior licensing role at a major platform or at a major international music publisher.
- Law degree in entertainment law from a top tier law school.
- In-depth experience working with and licensing from music labels, publishers and PROs. International experience required.
- Ability to work in a high deal volume and high-speed work environment.
- Expert knowledge and understanding of music publishing, DMCA and international publishing frameworks plus strong, relevant working relationships in the music publishing industry are required.
- Desire and capacity to stay current on rapidly evolving competitive landscape, expanding technologies, global market dynamics, and cross-industry opportunities.
- Ability to think strategically, but also willing to dig in and roll up sleeves with a can do attitude.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to develop strong working relationships inside and outside of Roblox.
- Creative, resourceful, detail-oriented, and highly organized
- Demonstrated presentation and communication skills
- Experience managing, mentoring and growing a music licensing team.
- High level of enthusiasm, creativity and innovative thinking with ability to quickly and easily adapt to change
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- Free catered lunches five times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual CalTrain Go Pass
- A Roblox Admin badge for your avatar