Work with the most passionate, team-oriented, visionary, and crazy-smart people you’ll ever meet in your life. Community is the heart and soul of Roblox. Over 30 million active players engage on our platform every day!
The impact that you can have at Roblox is boundless! Much like our platform, the possibilities here are limitless. We’re looking for someone who’s eager to take on a meaningful role in the ongoing success of Roblox on a massive scale.
Are you ready to take Roblox – and your career – to the next level?Join an amazing team that’s building the future of play. Every month, over 130 million monthly active players come to Roblox to immerse themselves in any game or experience imaginable. Players can create the ultimate theme park, compete as a professional race car driver, star in a fashion show, become a superhero, or simply build a dream home and hang out with friends. Today, more than 29 million user-generated games and experiences have been published on the platform, all created by a talented community of 1.9 million creators.
As a Technical Director, Real Time Streaming, you’ll be in charge of the overall technical vision and execution for our core real time components which will eventually support all our communications and broadcast needs. If you are super excited about hosting a video broadcast for 2M+ simultaneous viewers or ensuring that our 6M+ concurrent players can voice chat flawlessly on any network condition, this is the right role for you. This is an individual contributor senior engineering role.
- Battle ready: You have already built and deployed a system supporting millions of concurrent streams and are not afraid of any part of the technical stack (encoding, transport, transcoding, etc…). You are eager to apply what you learned and lead the upcoming platform for all Roblox real time communication (audio, data, video).
- Experienced: You have 10+ years of experience in large scale real time solutions with a proven track record of delivering low latency fault tolerant technical solutions. You have a BS in Computer Science, MS/PhD are a definite plus.
- Knowledgeable: You have a deep understanding of all the components required to build a real time streaming system and are able to go deep on any required area from networking, protocols, codecs up to buffering/rendering. You can recommend one route versus another and bring a team of engineers to consensus. You also love to pick up new technologies/codecs as the landscape evolves.
- Versatile: You’re a jack of all trades and you have mastered several languages and technologies already; you can easily adapt to any situation when the need arises and come with the right solution.
- Creative: You take a creative and strategic approach to solving hard problems and driving new tools/functionality for our developers
- Team-oriented: You have a magnetic personality that invigorates the team around you and you are used to lead technical teams in any situation.
- Lead the definition and implementation of our real time platform and design a system that can adapt from small group voice chat up to video broadcast to millions of viewers.
- Balance researching new technologies with a practical approach to realize the research efforts into the Roblox products.
- Drive any intellectual property effort on the domain as we are breaking new grounds.
- Lead other engineers by example and through technical direction.
- Collaborate with different teams to improve existing and develop new functionality, pipelines, and workflow.
- Be guided by the company vision to put the Roblox community first and represent the company through thought leadership.
Perks & Benefits:
- Work with an awesome team of smart and motivated people on cool and unique projects that are used by millions of active users every day
- Roblox Admin badge for your avatar and rockstar status with our community
- Free catered lunches and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Robust medical, dental and vision insurance
- Fitness reimbursement program
- 401K program
- Pre-tax commuter program
- Unlimited vacation policy
Roblox’s mission is to build a human co-experience platform that enables shared experiences among billions of users.
Every day, more than 32.6 million people around the world have fun with friends as they explore millions of digital experiences. All of these experiences are built by the Roblox community, made up of over eight million creators. We believe in building a safe, civil, and diverse community—one that inspires and fosters creativity and positive relationships between people around the world.
For the last three years, Roblox has been recognized as a Certified Great Place to Work®. We foster a company culture that empowers people to do the most defining work of their career. Much like our platform, the possibilities at Roblox are limitless. We’re looking for people that share our vision of bringing people together through shared experiences and are eager to take on a meaningful role in the ongoing success of Roblox on a massive scale.