Analytical Data Engineer
Roblox is ushering in the next generation of entertainment, allowing people to imagine, create, and play together in immersive, user-generated worlds. We’re the one and only fastest-growing entertainment platform that lets anyone teach themselves how to code, publish, and monetize any experience imaginable—across any device—reaching millions of players across the globe.
The impact that you can have at Roblox is powerful. We’re looking for someone who’s eager to take on a meaningful role in the success of Roblox on a massive scale. Someone who takes play seriously, but also isn’t afraid to have some fun either. Someone who’s ready to take Roblox—and their career—to the next level.
For three years running, we have been honored to be recognized as a Certified Great Place to Work®. We’ve fostered a company culture that empowers people to do the most defining work of their career in an environment that’s made up of the most passionate, team-oriented, visionary, crazy-smart people you’ll ever meet. Join the Roblox team where play rules and the possibilities are endless.
As an Analytical Data Engineer, you will help clearly define the data ontology across the company. You will build out robust, scalable, and efficient pipelines for augmenting existing, and generating new, core data sets. You will make significant and impactful design decisions around the concerns for the data (online estimation of counts and statistics of interest, caches robust to incurred but not yet reported events, and architectural decisions such as utilization of pure batch vs. lambda architecture).
As an ADE you should be familiar, though perhaps not facile, with machine learning or data science workflows, and should leverage that knowledge to inform your design decisions and implementations. Your team's product will act as the interface between data engineering and all other teams who will leverage the data to improve the Roblox platform and the experience of our users and creators alike.
- A B.Sc. equivalent in CS or sufficient experience.
- 3+ years of professional experience working with scalable data pipelines.
- Built and maintained core data sets at minimally multi-terabyte scale.
- Significant experience with at least one major cloud's suite of offerings (AWS, GCP, Azure) and willingness to learn another
- Worked within standard GitOps workflow (branch and merge, PRs, CI / CD systems)
You May Have:
- Familiarity with DevOps (CI/CD, Docker+K8S)
- Familiarity with infrastructure configuration (IaC [e.g. Terraform], cluster parameter tuning, service parameter tuning)
- Familiarity with Data Discovery tooling (e.g. Amundsen, Atlas)
- Partner across the organization to define the Core Data Ontology
- Apply ETL Frameworks to scale and extend functionality of the frameworks.
- Analyze the use cases for the data to determine appropriate SLAs
- Analyze the incoming data and upstream pipelines to determine and minimize epistemological issues.
- Design and implement robust data pipelines to feed the core data sets
- Determine appropriate relaxations to deterministic compute where appropriate and leverage probabilistic data structures (bloom filters, count min sketch)
- Partner with the Data Platform Team to provide approximation algorithms (approximate nearest neighbor, etc.) for high use statistics of interest.
- Determine optimal caching strategies and eviction policies.
- Drive adoption of the Core Data tables and publicize new incoming datasets to ensure consistency across the organization
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- A super-cool Roblox Admin badge for your avatar
- Rockstar status with our community