Every day, tens of millions of people from around the world come to Roblox to play, learn, work, and socialize in immersive digital experiences created by the community.
Our vision is to build a platform that enables shared experiences among billions of users. This is what’s known as the metaverse: a persistent space where anyone can do just about anything they can imagine, from anywhere in the world and on any device. The breadth of opportunities, and the evolving demands of this first-of-its-kind platform, ensure that your avenues for growth are always expanding and flexible.
Join us and you’ll usher in a new category of human interaction while solving exceptional challenges that you won’t find anywhere else.
As a Technical Director, Universal Apps, you’ll be in charge of the overall technical vision and execution for the Universal App, which is a client side technology that enables the development of application features across all of the Roblox supported platforms including: iOS, Android, OSX, Windows, Xbox and more to come. Our technology is the foundation for multiple product lines and will serve as the cornerstone that enables both 1st party and 3rd party capabilities for years to come. This is a senior engineering individual contributor role.
- Battle ready: You have already built and deployed a system supporting millions of concurrent streams and are not afraid of any part of the technical stack (encoding, transport, transcoding, etc…). You are eager to apply what you learned and lead the upcoming platform for all Roblox real time communication (audio, data, video).
- Experienced: You have 10+ years of experience in large scale real time solutions with a proven track record of delivering low latency fault tolerant technical solutions. You have a BS in Computer Science, MS/PhD are a definite plus.
- Knowledgeable: You have a deep understanding of all the components required to build a real time streaming system and are able to go deep on any required area from networking, protocols, codecs up to buffering/rendering. You can recommend one route versus another and bring a team of engineers to consensus. You also love to pick up new technologies/codecs as the landscape evolves.
- Versatile: You’re a jack of all trades and you have mastered several languages and technologies already; you can easily adapt to any situation when the need arises and come with the right solution.
- Creative: You take a creative and strategic approach to solving hard problems and driving new tools/functionality for our developers
- Team-oriented: You have a magnetic personality that invigorates the team around you and you are used to lead technical teams in any situation.
- Be responsible for the technology that will help Roblox scale our application development with a growing number of teams and engineers.
- Lead the technical direction and implementation necessary to scale the Universal App architecture across our tech stack of native code, C++ and Lua.
- Envision the toolings and build infrastructure that are necessary to support frequent features delivery from many independent engineering teams.
- Stay on top of the new functionalities from the 3rd party platforms that Roblox support and strategically introduce and enable them as new capabilities into our product lines.
- Work with the industry and any 3rd party vendors to satisfy any necessary compliance requirements
- Interface with the industry and communities where applicable for our open source footprints.
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- Free catered lunches five times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual CalTrain Go Pass
- A Roblox Admin badge for your avatar