Data Scientist - Developer Marketplace
San Mateo, CA
Data Science & Analytics Jobs All Jobs
Roblox is ushering in the next generation of entertainment, allowing people to imagine, create, and play together in immersive, user-generated worlds. We’re the one and only fastest-growing entertainment platform that lets anyone teach themselves how to code, publish, and monetize any experience imaginable—across any device—reaching millions of players across the globe.
The impact that you can have at Roblox is powerful. We’re looking for someone who’s eager to take on a meaningful role in the success of Roblox on a massive scale. Someone who takes play seriously, but also isn’t afraid to have some fun either. Someone who’s ready to take Roblox—and their career—to the next level.
In 2021, we were honored to be recognized as a Certified Great Place to Work®. We’ve fostered a company culture that empowers people to do the most defining work of their career in an environment that’s made up of the most passionate, team-oriented, visionary, crazy-smart people you’ll ever meet. Join the Roblox team where play rules and the possibilities are endless.
WHY DATA SCIENCE & ANALYTICS?
The Data Science & Analytics organization’s mission is to increase our speed, frequency and acumen of making decisions at scale by instilling a data-influenced approach to building products. We cover a wide area of the data spectrum including analytical data engineering, product analytics, experimentation, causal inference, statistical modeling and machine learning. Aligned and partnering with product verticals, we use this extensive tool belt to discover new opportunities and unmet use cases, influence and shape the product roadmap and prioritization, build data products and measure impact on our community of players and developers.
WHY DEVELOPER MARKETPLACE?
As a data scientist in Developer Marketplace, you will be a key participant in helping our product and engineering teams shape the future of Roblox. You will be the first data scientist, building out the algorithmic search and discovery models on our Developer Marketplace. The Studio Marketplace enables game developers to discover assets and tools to include in their experiences and increase their development efficiency. You’ll partner with data scientists, product managers, engineers and leaders across the company to scale out decision-making by creating, optimizing, testing, deploying and monitoring statistical models.
- Passionate about data. You have the curiosity and self-drive to continuously learn new techniques and tools to extract value from data. You have a degree in Statistics, Economics, Computer Science or other relevant field.
- A strong communicator. You understand that performing decisions at scale brings up a plethora of questions. You have the ability to explain technical concepts to non-technical audiences and discuss appropriate tradeoffs.
- A capable statistician. You understand the value of characterizing data by its distribution. Covariance, Bias, and Conditional Probability are concepts that you rely on every day.
- An expert collecting the right data. You can easily work with SQL and a scripting language such as Python or R. You’re experienced in automating efforts and crunching massive volumes of data using big data frameworks such as Spark, Hadoop or Flink.
- Adept at developing models to draw insights from data. You use regression techniques, data mining, statistical techniques and deep learning to create new, scalable solutions to solve difficult business problems. You understand when to apply the appropriate methodology, tool, framework to maximize impact in a pragmatic fashion.
- Excited about free, scalable coding education. You are excited by the opportunity to engage millions of children and youth in learning programming through play. You enjoy thinking about the levers to engage more players to become developers.
- Understand and shape the vision of how to build models that will efficiently connect developers to the assets they need to build immersive and engaging experiences on the platform.
- Accelerate product development and decision-making through the application of models to drive growth and improve the product experience.
- Access raw data, and then transform it, analyze it, and render it in a compelling way--all using a custom analytics tool kit built from state-of-the-art open-source libraries.
- Evaluate A/B experiments to determine success of product feature launches.
- Influence how Roblox interacts with its players and its platform developers
- 5+ years of experience in statistical modeling and machine learning
- 2+ years of experience using big data query/processing languages such as SQL, Hive or Spark to transform/manipulate very large datasets
- 2+ years of experience in one or more scripting languages such as Python or R
- 2+ years experience in recommendation engines
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Applied Math, Physics, Engineering, Statistics, Economics or other technical field
- MS or PhD in Computer Science, Applied Math, Physics, Engineering, Statistics, Economics or other technical field
- 2+ years of industry experience in analytics focused on enhancing products and discovering opportunities
- 2+ years of experience in fast-paced environment or fast growing company, such as the tech sector
- Ability to communicate analytics results and data storytelling to influence product teams and leaders
- Experience working with content platforms, particularly user-generated content
- Experience in search ranking at two-sided marketplaces