Roblox is ushering in the next generation of entertainment, allowing people to imagine, create, and play together in immersive, user-generated worlds. We’re the one and only fastest-growing entertainment platform that lets anyone teach themselves how to code, publish, and monetize any experience imaginable—across any device—reaching millions of players across the globe.
The impact that you can have at Roblox is powerful. We’re looking for someone who’s eager to take on a meaningful role in the success of Roblox on a massive scale. Someone who takes play seriously, but also isn’t afraid to have some fun either. Someone who’s ready to take Roblox—and their career—to the next level.
We are honored to be recognized as a Certified Great Place to Work® since 2018. We’ve fostered a company culture that empowers people to do the most defining work of their career in an environment that’s made up of the most passionate, team-oriented, visionary, crazy-smart people you’ll ever meet. Join the Roblox team where play rules and the possibilities are endless.
As a Principal Backend Engineer on the Avatar Core Services team, you will orchestrate engineering that scales Roblox avatars to millions of simultaneous players. The Avatar Core Services team builds the backend that delivers customizable avatars to a wide range of platforms & devices. The team works closely with other avatar teams to build new & innovative services crucial for both increasing avatar quality and improving client-side runtime performance. You will guide design of all major projects while keeping an eye out for overall system health; you’ll take the long view and innovate solutions that solve unique avatar problems.
- Experienced in leading cross functional engineering efforts to scale up backend system to handle large number of concurrent users
- Experienced in designing and building web application using microservice architecture
- Capable of breaking down product requirements into iterative deliverable stages with track record to show successful execution
- An expert in SQL database and Elasticsearch scalability and optimization
- A mentor and tech lead that has helped team members to grow their technical depth
- An experienced backend engineer with 8+ years of work experience
- A Computer-Science graduate or MS graduate
- Experience in .NET, Go, Java, C++
- Track record of technical leadership and mentorship within and across different teams
- Took initiative and led team to tackle large scale tech debt or system improvement projects that involve collaborating with cross functional teams
- Has built up technical depth in at least 2 different companies (min 2 years each)
- Someone constantly thinking about the bigger picture in terms of areas for improvement, potential bottlenecks and engineering best practices
- Game experience is a plus