Principal Engineer, Avatar Motion
Roblox is ushering in the next generation of entertainment, allowing people to imagine, create, and play together in immersive, user-generated worlds. We’re the one and only fastest-growing entertainment platform that lets anyone teach themselves how to code, publish, and monetize any experience imaginable—across any device—reaching millions of players across the globe.
The impact that you can have at Roblox is powerful. We’re looking for someone who’s eager to take on a meaningful role in the success of Roblox on a massive scale. Someone who takes play seriously, but also isn’t afraid to have some fun either. Someone who’s ready to take Roblox—and their career—to the next level.
We are honored to be recognized as a Certified Great Place to Work® since 2018. We’ve fostered a company culture that empowers people to do the most defining work of their career in an environment that’s made up of the most passionate, team-oriented, visionary, crazy-smart people you’ll ever meet. Join the Roblox team where play rules and the possibilities are endless.
As a Principal Engineer on our Avatar Motion team, you will have an immediate impact on the building blocks of Roblox itself. Your work will focus on our avatar and animation system and will touch every part of the engine, from physics simulation to game engine architecture, scripting and threading.
The software you build is a very large and complex application that empowers our global community of 2M+ developers to push the boundaries of interactive gaming. If you enjoy working on cutting-edge C++ software, alongside highly-skilled and passionate engineers, if you care about making character animation accessible to our community, if you are not afraid of leveraging and advancing groundbreaking technologies, you will be right at home on our rapidly-growing team.
- Experienced: you've worked on deep and challenging problems in complex C++ codebases.
- A seasoned 3D developer. You are comfortable with 3D data models, 3D formats and game engine / Digital Content Creation tools design patterns.
- Systems-level: pointers, templates, threads, locks, message queues, raw blocks of memory are tools to write high-performance code, not your enemies
- Platform-savvy: you can jump with ease between Windows, OS X, Linux, Android, iOS, and other platforms.
- Responsible: you build systems that work and keep on working reliably. You are thorough in your designs, rigorous in handling potential failure cases, and diligent in automated testing.
- Curious: you are keen to learn and grow, and stay up-to-date on technology developments
- Ready for a challenge: your work will affect large components of the Roblox engine and have a large impact in our developer and users communities.
- Join the avatar team and the broader game engine team.
- Work on multiple aspects of our animation system making it more flexible and capable while preserving its performance and ease of use.
- Code: develop, review, architect, refactor.
- Implement algorithms and solutions to address our developers needs.
- Define how animations are encoded and shared across our components (server, client, editor, physics and rendering).
- Design and implement user-facing APIs, work out migration plans.
- Focus on workflows with the ultimate goal of democratizing 3D character animation on our platform.
- Stay up to date with the state of the art on game animation and avatar technologies.
- Apply the latest technologies to our system when appropriate.