Roblox, Principal Technical Artist, San Mateo, CA
Roblox is ushering in the next generation of entertainment, allowing people to imagine, create, and play together in immersive, user-generated worlds. We’re the one and only fastest-growing entertainment platform that lets anyone teach themselves how to code, publish, and monetize any experience imaginable—across any device—reaching millions of players across the globe.
The impact that you can have at Roblox is powerful. We’re looking for someone who’s eager to take on a meaningful role in the success of Roblox on a massive scale. Someone who takes play seriously, but also isn’t afraid to have some fun either. Someone who’s ready to take Roblox—and their career—to the next level.
In 2018 and 2019, we were honored to be recognized as a Certified Great Place to Work®. We’ve fostered a company culture that empowers people to do the most defining work of their career in an environment that’s made up of the most passionate, team-oriented, visionary, crazy-smart people you’ll ever meet. Join the Roblox team where play rules and the possibilities are endless.
As a Principal Technical Artist, you’ll be working with a team of talented engineers and artists to drive technical vision and visual quality across the full breadth of Roblox’s platform. The results will help drive our future roadmap and priorities, as well as decisions on creative technologies. If you are experienced and passionate about improving complex processes, interconnected production pipelines, and you enjoy working in an exciting, fast-paced environment, you’ll enjoy the challenges here at Roblox.
- Educated: Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related CG field
- Experienced: 7+ years in the game industry, worked on titles on multiple platforms (mobile a plus), 5+ years of experience in a technical artist role
- Visionary: Ability to envision extensible and efficient methods for production and improvements to everything from Avatar, Environment, and Rendering.
- Knowledgeable: Strong understanding of modern real-time engines, variety of art tools (including Maya and Blender), runtime animation, complex deformation systems and cloth simulation
- Visual-focused: Passion for top-notch visuals with a focus on driving improvements in engine features, tools, pipelines and possible output from Roblox and its community
- Creative: You take a creative and strategic approach to solving existing issues and driving new tools/functionality for our developers
- Driven: A desire to learn, explore and provide value in a fast-paced, fluid environment
- Team-oriented: Solid communication and collaboration skills
- Develop long-term plans and goals for various tools and processes between teams that will be used to produce high quality content on our platform.
- Collaborate with art and engineering staff to develop new technologies and ensure prototype features can produce intended results
- Work with multiple teams to drive the vision for these new production concepts and methods, working with product managers, and support the pipelines and artist workflow for both Roblox Studio and external software
- Become an expert on Roblox Avatar technology, Roblox content creation tools, and pipeline
- Author specs for improvements and new features
- Investigate and provide feedback on our tools and pipelines from an artist and game developer perspective
- Affirm assets and tools are performant across all of our supported platforms including mobile, desktop and console
- Follow our development community and stay aware of top issues and requests
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- Free catered lunches five times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual CalTrain Go Pass
- A Roblox Admin badge for your avatar
Roblox – Powering Imagination