Roblox China – Legal Counsel
Location: Shenzhen, China
Roblox China is a joint venture between Roblox Corporation and Tencent Holdings, with its HQ in Shenzhen, China.
Roblox, a global online experience brings people around the world together through play by inspiring imagination, creativity, and learning through shared online experiences. Every month, more than 100 million people around the world have fun with friends as they explore millions of immersive digital worlds. All of these digital worlds are built by the Roblox community, made up of over 2 million creators.
Roblox has pursued a vision of creating a new ‘human co-experience’ category that combines gaming, entertainment, social and media. Players share experiences, socialize, create and learn.
The strategic partnership with Tencent, one of the largest internet companies in the world, will accelerate these efforts in China.
Tech Crunch recently published a 3-part profile on Roblox, reposted here:
- How Roblox Grew into a $2.5B Company
- Digging into the Roblox Growth Strategy
- 3 Lessons from Roblox’s Growth
Roblox’s CEO gave a talk at a recent Roblox Developer Conference that sets out what to expect from Roblox in the next few years.
China is a truly strategic market for Roblox and very important to accomplishing the mission of bringing the world together through play.
The JV has recently been established and is in start-up mode now. So, the Legal Counsel will be responsible for building an amazing team in our China office.
The Legal Counsel will have some or all of the following:
- Understanding of the China market – strong commercial sensibilities and understanding of competitive landscape in China.
- Fluent Mandarin (ideally PRC national who has spent years in-market). Strong English skills. Equally comfortable in Shenzhen or San Mateo, and communicating with people in both places.
- Startup scrappy sensibility, super smart, own things and just gets things done. Analytical and imaginative. Relentlessly optimistic. A person around whom “magic just happens” (because behind the scenes that person is making sure the magic happens)
Your Legal Background:
- General transactional experience (you are amazing at drafting, reviewing and negotiating contracts). You also have a deep understanding of Chinese business laws and regulations.
- Privacy work – You have some expertise with Chinese privacy laws and a good working knowledge of GDPR.
- Intellectual property - You have solid experience with trademarks as well as content licensing and software licensing.
- Relevant background – Significant experience advising companies on business and regulatory issues in China. Some government relations work would be a plus.
- In-house experience - You thrive in an in-house environment and you know how to work with different departments within a company to get stuff done.
- Top law school and top university.
- Very smart. You can boil complex issues down to the bottom line and give advice that can be operationalized (as opposed to legal theory).
- Goal-oriented, Own it and Get it done. You will be a mini-CEO of your legal work. Achieve those goals. You will need to take responsibility for your work, be self-organized and get it done. You are also business-oriented.
- Comfortable shuffling/shifting priorities on a dime.
- Super organized. Extreme attention to detail and stellar follow through.
- Really nice. Our whole company is. You need to be as well. A good sense of humor is a major plus.
- Excited and passionate. You have the potential to be part of a company that is helping to redefine entertainment within China.