Principal Software Engineer - Application Platform
San Mateo, CA
Backend Web Jobs All Jobs
Every day, tens of millions of people from around the world come to Roblox to play, learn, work, and socialize in immersive digital experiences created by the community.
Our vision is to build a platform that enables shared experiences among billions of users. This is what’s known as the metaverse: a persistent space where anyone can do just about anything they can imagine, from anywhere in the world and on any device. The breadth of opportunities, and the evolving demands of this first-of-its-kind platform, ensure that your avenues for growth are always expanding and flexible.
Join us and you’ll usher in a new category of human interaction while solving exceptional challenges that you won’t find anywhere else.
Here are a few quick highlights of how we power Roblox:
- CDN - we push hundreds of petabytes of data through our CDNs each month
- Microservices - we own 50+ microservices, the most of any Roblox fullstack engineering team
- API Scale - we run services that hit 500K - 700K RPS, the highest load of any Roblox fullstack engineering team.
- Thumbnails - our system generates 20,000 - 50,000 thumbnails at peak. Perfect for viewing all your avatar clothing options!
Here are a few things we will work on together:
- You will design and implement features in our backend server and API stack that power https://www.roblox.com and mobile apps for iOS, Android, and Amazon platforms.
- You will build new microservices in a collaborative modern development process using Docker, .net Core Linux, and container orchestration.
- Enhance and extend our Telemetry system for the charting and visualization of Roblox events and metrics.
- Technical leadership: be a gatekeeper for a high code quality bar, architectural designs, and pragmatic vs. long-term approaches
- Resolve dependencies, schedules, and prioritization with an eye towards common and shared deliverables
- Track data, on changes/improvements so they can be measured, and so that we can continually improve.
- Someone that likes to figure things out
- Someone that has architected, designed, and developed a wide-array of software products.
- An expert in building web applications in frameworks such as ASP.NET, SpringMVC, Express, Rails, or Flask.
- Knowledgeable with REST, API design patterns, and scalable containerized systems and microservices.
- Someone with 7+ years of experience
You could be:
- A Computer-Science bachelors or MS degree
- An expert that has shipped multiple products / versions of products.
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- Free catered lunches five times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual CalTrain Go Pass
- A Roblox Admin badge for your avatar