Roblox, Software Engineering Manager, San Mateo, CA
Join an amazing team that’s building the future of play. Every month, over 64 million active players come together on Roblox to imagine, create, and play in immersive 3D worlds. Roblox allows anyone to build the ultimate theme park, compete as a professional race car driver, star in a fashion show, become a superhero, or simply build a dream home and hang out with friends. Today more than 29 million user-generated games and experiences have been published on the platform, all developed by a talented community of 1.9 million creators.
Roblox's engineering team is growing rapidly and we are looking for great engineering managers to help us scale. This role will contribute to the advancement of our flagship product, Roblox Studio, the product at the origin of all games on the Roblox platform. Thousands of developers use Roblox Studio daily to build their immersive, three dimensional games and environments that entertain millions of players. Managers are expected to work autonomously with only directional supervision, play the role of mini-CEO’s in the area they are responsible for. They plan, execute and deliver projects, provide career development, mentorship, and candid feedback to their team. At Roblox we move fast and ship code to production weekly; your leadership will increase productivity by removing obstacles and keeping processes lean. You will identify and mitigate risk and make sure to keep teams efficient and executing on the right goals. Roblox teams are inclusive, helpful, and have a strong sense of ownership over the things they build. If you have a desire to grow and learn, you will fit right in with our highly-skilled and ever-expanding production engineering team.
As a Software Engineering Manager for the Cloud Game Development Team, you will be in charge of architecture, design, implementation and delivery of a cloud-based distributed system that breaks new ground for the game development industry and software development in general. Cloud Game Development facilitates instant synchronization between game developers, enables multiparty script editing, manages cloud-based repository.
- A Leader, with a proven track record of strong people management skills and an ability to hire and grow a talented team of engineers and analysts
- Experienced, with a development track record at multiple companies. 1+ years in a Manager/Team Lead role, and a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a similar technical field
- Hands-on with C++ and Boost libraries, multithreading and networking
- Familiar with .NET web application stack, MS SQL or other database technologies at scale.
- Proficient with industry standards, best practices and design patterns
- Focused on writing clear, readable, testable, modular, and monitored code
- Passionate about working on large scale, consumer facing desktop application
- Collaborative with excellent communication skills and follow-through
- Organized and analytical with the ability to track numerous separate threads to their appropriate resolution
- Metrics driven with proficiency in quality metrics and monitoring
- Lead application engineering team for Roblox Studio product line by coordinating with product managers, tech leads, and individual contributors
- Own and deliver complex technical projects from the planning stage through execution
- Work as a player-coach, leading the design and coding efforts by example
- Define, develop, and implement best practices and strategies
- Provide mentoring to both junior and senior engineers in their progress on business and personal career goals
- Develop and track key metrics for quality and team performance, drive their improvement over time, and communicate their status
Perks & Benefits:
- Work with an awesome team of smart and motivated people on cool and unique projects that are used by millions of active users every day
- Robust medical, dental and vision insurance
- 401k program
- Unlimited vacation policy
- Free catered lunches 3 times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Fitness reimbursement program
- Pre-tax commuter program
- Roblox Admin badge for your avatar and rockstar status with our community
Roblox is the largest social platform for play that allows kids to imagine, create, and play together in immersive 3D worlds. Over 29 million user-generated online games have been produced on the Roblox platform with over 64 million monthly active players visiting Roblox every month to create adventures, play games, roleplay, and learn with friends in a family-friendly environment. Roblox is accessible on all modern smartphones, tablets, desktops, Xbox One, Oculus Rift, and other popular VR platforms. In 2017, Roblox was named to the Inc. 5000 list of Fastest-Growing Private Companies in America for the second consecutive year.
Roblox – Powering Imagination.