Roblox, Senior Database Administrator, San Mateo, CA
Be part of an amazing team that’s building the world’s largest social platform for play. Every month, over 62 million players come to Roblox to immerse themselves in any game or experience imaginable. Players can create the ultimate theme park, compete as a professional race car driver, star in a fashion show, become a superhero, or simply build a dream home and hang out with friends.
Our ambition is to build a global infrastructure to rival that of any big social network out there. We currently operate thousands of servers in data centers all over the globe. Over the next few years, we expect our server count to grow by a factor of 3 or more.
As a Senior Database Administrator, you’ll play a critical role in helping us scale our database backend and hardware infrastructure at a time of incredible growth for our business. At Roblox, you’ll have boundless opportunities to shape the future of the Imagination Platform™ and demonstrate your passion for delivering awesome solutions in front of a global audience. If you know what it takes to scale database backends that can sustain over one million concurrent players year-round and you take play as seriously as we do, you’ll fit right into our highly-skilled and ever-expanding engineering team.
- Experienced: you have a BS degree (or equivalent professional experience) in Computer Science or related engineering field with at least 7 years experience as a MSSQL DBA; you’re used to blazing trails and inspiring your comrades to pursue excellence in all matters
- A MSSQL scholar: you’ve been around the block a few times and understand the challenges of building large-scale MSSQL database systems. MSSQL has no secrets for you and HA/DR setups are a walk in the park for you
- A strong communicator: You’re a language arts champion, effortlessly communicating with vendors and suppliers from around the world via email or phone without missing a beat
- Security-minded: You are familiar with PII & PCI data and understand the requirements these put on data storage, access and security
- Ambitious: you boldly go where no man or woman has gone before; ScaleArc, Heimdall, ElasticSearch, RLEC, etc. might not be technologies you’ve used, but you are keen to learn and grow
- Adaptable: you are capable of adjusting to new challenges, and experimentation is in your blood
- Work with an innovative distributed team that manages our mission critical MSSQL database systems
- Develop and deliver groundbreaking database solutions to meet the large scale and real-time requirements of our Imagination Platform™ to ensure our community has an awesome experience anywhere in the world
- Design and deliver highly available database platform, using DB-mirroring, SQL clustering and Always-On technologies
- Identify and solve critical problems and prevent them from re-occurring via root cause analysis and automation
- Create, influence, and improve the development platform, infrastructure, standards, and methods to ensure the goal of scalability and high availability can be achieved
- Develop and share best practices with development teams to improve the scalability and reliability of the Roblox platform, including peer reviews of SQL, T-SQL and stored procedures
- While we are growing at our current pace, you will be asked to participate in the on-call rotation for critical infrastructure pieces
Perks & Benefits:
- Work with an awesome team of smart and motivated people on cool and unique projects that are used by millions of active users every day
- Roblox Admin badge for your avatar, and rockstar status with our community
- Unlimited paid vacation
- Gym reimbursement
- Free catered lunches & a fully stocked kitchen with unlimited snacks
- Robust medical, dental and vision insurance
- Free onsite parking & other commuter benefits
Roblox is the largest social platform for play that allows kids to imagine, create, and play together in immersive 3D worlds. Over 29 million user-generated online games have been produced on the Roblox platform with over 62 million players visiting Roblox every month to create adventures, play games, roleplay, and learn with friends in a family-friendly environment. Roblox is accessible on all modern smartphones, tablets, desktops, Xbox One, Oculus Rift, and other popular VR platforms. Roblox was ranked #37 in the Consumer Products and Services category for overall revenue in Inc. Magazine’s 2016 5000 Fastest Growing Private Companies in America.
Roblox – Powering Imagination.