Roblox, Senior Game Networking Engineer, San Mateo, CA
Roblox’s imagination platform is ushering in the next generation of entertainment. Roblox enables kids of all ages to imagine, create, and play together in immersive experiences on their phones, desktops, consoles, and VR. Powered by a growing global community of millions of creators, Roblox enables anyone to build, publish, and monetize their creations.
ComScore ranks Roblox as one of the top digital properties in the US for kids under the age of 18 and has been named One of America's Fastest-Growing Private Companies in the Inc. 5000 for two consecutive years.
Work with the most passionate, team-oriented, visionary, and crazy-smart people you’ll ever meet. The engineers at Roblox are working on the most challenging and interesting problems in tech today -- distributed systems, real-time communication, 3D co-experience, massive data processing, social networking, rendering, physics, and more. As a Roblox engineer, you will have real ownership and impact across one or more of these domains.
The Network team pulls the players together by ensuring the rapid communication of the game state to all. Short of inventing a time machine, you will help the players experience the game as a more and more nearly synchronous world. Just as the nerves in our bodies coordinate our actions the network system coordinates all the computers involved into a smooth experience for the players. You will have a chance to learn about all aspects of the game platform in your quest for real-time communication of all parts of a game.
- Amazing at systems-level C++ programming (5+ years of experience): the actual work the cpu does when you use smart pointers, templates, virtual functions, and blocks of memory, both structured and raw, fascinates you.
- Knowledgeable about network protocols: you understand the messages exchanged during communication over these protocols.
- Keen to understand each millisecond of the network exchanges: you know where the time goes and how to reduce the waste
- Eager to learn: finding a new challenge makes your day; learning a new tool makes your week
- Self-sufficient: you can break down high-level tasks and drive them to completion
- User-oriented: you don’t let go of a task or feature until it’s in the hands of end-users and working exactly the way it should
- Analytical: you’re comfortable using metrics and logging to analyze problems, find patterns, and develop solutions
- Multi-platform: you jump with ease between Windows, OS X, Linux, Android, iOS, XBox…
- Ready for a challenge: you’re eager to tackle the hardest problems you can find
- Develop network communication code that creates a smooth and real-time experience for Roblox players
- Improve the balance of the play experience across devices of widely different capabilities.
- Work on all the devices Roblox supports, from desktop clients, mobile phone clients to console clients.
- Self-organize your work and take ownership of projects throughout their full life-cycles
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- Free catered lunches five times a week and fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual CalTrain Go Pass
- A super-cool Roblox Admin badge for your avatar
- Rockstar status with our community
Roblox – Powering Imagination.