Roblox, Senior Backend Web Engineer - Core Services, San Mateo, CA
Roblox’s imagination platform is ushering in the next generation of entertainment. Roblox enables kids of all ages to imagine, create, and play together in immersive experiences on their phones, desktops, consoles, and VR. Powered by a growing global community of millions of creators, Roblox enables anyone to build, publish, and monetize their creations.
ComScore ranks Roblox as one of the top digital properties in the US for kids under the age of 18 and has been named One of America's Fastest-Growing Private Companies in the Inc. 5000 for two consecutive years.
Work with the most passionate, team-oriented, visionary, and crazy-smart people you’ll ever meet. The engineers at Roblox are working on the hardest problems in tech today -- distributed systems, real time communication, 3D co-experience, massive data processing, social networking, rendering, physics, and more. As a Roblox engineer, you will have real ownership and impact across one or more of these domains.
As a Senior Backend Web Engineer on the Core Services team, you’ll play a critical role in helping us architect, design, and build a foundation for the next generation of internal and public facing API services. We are looking for exceptional engineers with a deep knowledge of distributed systems, cross-platform software development, and an understanding of what it takes to truly create innovative, thoroughly tested, well-documented and easy-to-use frameworks that others can build on top of. You will be joining an awesome team that owns multiple widely used core Platform technologies, including our internal microservices framework, public facing API services framework, Pub-Sub messaging, authentication, code analysis tools and more.
- Experienced: you have a Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent professional experience) in Computer Science or a related engineering field and at least 8 years of hands-on experience
- A solid programmer: you are skilled in a multitude of programming and scripting languages, such as C#, Java, C++ and Ruby
- Passionate about unit testing and automation. TDD fans welcome.
- Ambitious: you boldly go where no person has gone before; Redis, ASP.NET Core, AWS Lambda, InfluxDB, etc. might not be technologies you’ve used, but you are keen to learn and grow
- Up-to-speed on all things Cloud: you have working experience with public cloud solutions such as AWS, GCP, or Azure
- Experienced with addressing performance issues across the whole stack from applications to operating systems
- Well versed in network applications and their related technologies (TCP/IP, HTTP, Oauth 2.0, OpenID, JSON, Web Token, JOSE, x509 certificates, REST)
- Collaborative: you are enthusiastic about working effectively with people from different teams across Roblox.
- Develop and deliver groundbreaking, flexible, easy-to-use, well-documented, modular frameworks that provide an awesome experience for the engineers that use them
- Create, influence, and improve the development platform, infrastructure, and standards to ensure scalability and high availability
- Identify and solve critical problems and prevent them from reoccurring via root cause analysis and automation
- Participate in the design and implementation of next generation systems
- Provide detailed, constructive design and code reviews
- Evangelize best practices in software development and end-to-end architecture
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- Free catered lunches five times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual CalTrain Go Pass
- A super-cool Roblox Admin badge for your avatar
- Rock star status with our community
Roblox – Powering Imagination.