Roblox, Senior Backend Web Engineer - Chat, San Mateo, CA
Roblox’s imagination platform is ushering in the next generation of entertainment. Roblox enables kids of all ages to imagine, create, and play together in immersive experiences on their phones, desktops, consoles, and VR. Powered by a growing global community of millions of creators, Roblox enables anyone to build, publish, and monetize their creations.
ComScore ranks Roblox as one of the top digital properties in the US for kids under the age of 18 and has been named One of America's Fastest-Growing Private Companies in the Inc. 5000 for two consecutive years.
Work with the most passionate, team-oriented, visionary, and crazy-smart people you’ll ever meet. The engineers at Roblox are working on the hardest problems in tech today -- distributed systems, real time communication, 3D co-experience, massive data processing, social networking, rendering, physics, and more. As a Roblox engineer, you will have real ownership and impact across one or more of these domains.
As a Senior Backend Web Engineer on the Chat team, you’ll play a critical role in helping us scale our software stack at a time of incredible growth for our business. At Roblox, you’ll have boundless opportunities to shape the future of the largest social platform for play and demonstrate your passion for delivering awesome solutions to a global audience. If you have what it takes to expand a real-time notifications framework that can sustain over a million concurrent players at peak times and you take play as seriously as we do, you’ll fit right into our highly-skilled and ever-expanding engineering team.
- Experienced: you have a Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent professional experience) in Computer Science or a related engineering field and at least six years of hands-on experience
- Interested in powering social networks: you are excited about building infrastructure to support chat and social networking features at scale by handling tens of millions of requests per second
- A solid programmer: you are skilled in at least one compiled language, like C#, Java, C++, etc.
- Well rounded software engineer: you have working experience dealing with relational databases, distributed systems, software design patterns and large-scale applications
- Adaptable: you tackle new challenges head-on, understanding and solving problems using emerging technologies
- Up-to-speed on all things Cloud: it is an added bonus if you have working experience with public cloud solutions such as AWS, GCP, or Azure
- Develop and deliver groundbreaking chat solutions that provide an awesome experience for our community around the world while satisfying the large scale and real-time requirements of the Imagination Platform
- Identify and solve critical problems and prevent them from reoccurring via root cause analysis and automation
- Create, influence, and improve the development platform, infrastructure, standards, and methods to ensure our goals of scalability and high availability
- Support our various chat related frameworks in production, sharing the on-call rotation with your team colleagues
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- Free catered lunches five times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual CalTrain Go Pass
- A super-cool Roblox Admin badge for your avatar
- Rock star status with our community
Roblox – Powering Imagination.