Roblox, Senior Backend Web Engineer - International, San Mateo, CA
Roblox’s imagination platform is ushering in the next generation of entertainment. Roblox enables kids of all ages to imagine, create, and play together in immersive experiences on their phones, desktops, consoles, and VR. Powered by a growing global community of millions of creators, Roblox enables anyone to build, publish, and monetize their creations.
ComScore ranks Roblox as one of the top digital properties in the US for kids under the age of 18 and has been named One of America's Fastest-Growing Private Companies in the Inc. 5000 for two consecutive years.
Work with the most passionate, team-oriented, visionary, and crazy-smart people you’ll ever meet. The engineers at Roblox are working on the hardest problems in tech today -- distributed systems, real time communication, 3D co-experience, massive data processing, social networking, rendering, physics, and more. As a Roblox engineer, you will have real ownership and impact across one or more of these domains.
As a Senior Backend Web Engineer working on the International team, you’ll have a unique opportunity to bring the largest social platform for play to a global audience in their native language. If you love large scale and complex systems that are used by millions of users on a daily basis around the world and you understand the particular challenges that localization brings with it, you’ll fit right into our highly-skilled and rapidly growing engineering team.
- Experienced with a Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent professional experience) in Computer Science or related engineering field with at least 8 years of hands-on experience.
- A Solid programmer with demonstrable skills with compiled languages such as C#, Java, C++, or others.
- Proven at scale: you’ve designed and implemented large-scale distributed microservices architectures and have experience with Memcached, Redis, or other caching technologies.
- Proficient with Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, PostgreSQL or other database technology at scale.
- Practiced with noSQL technologies such as DynamoDB, MongoDB or others.
- Knowledgeable about search technologies such as Elasticsearch or Solr.
- Focused on writing clear, readable, testable, and monitored code.
- Have a direct impact on the future direction of the largest social platform for play, delivering groundbreaking solutions that will enable our development teams to localize Roblox for a global community of over 60 million monthly active players.
- Develop services by which our community of creators on the platform can internationalize their games, whether manually, crowdsourced, or automatically via machine translation.
- Build core internationalization and localization tools and infrastructure, which will be used by all engineering teams within Roblox.
- Design and build backend services to handle real-time machine translation of user communication.
- Serve as a tech lead for the team and mentor junior engineers.
- Play an active role in recruiting future talent for the team.
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- Free catered lunches five times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual CalTrain Go Pass
- A super-cool Roblox Admin badge for your avatar
- Rock star status with our community
Roblox – Powering Imagination.