Senior Analytical Data Engineer - Experimentation
San Mateo, CA
Data Engineering Jobs All Jobs
Every day, tens of millions of people from around the world come to Roblox to play, learn, work, and socialize in immersive digital experiences created by the community.
Our vision is to build a platform that enables shared experiences among billions of users. This is what’s known as the metaverse: a persistent space where anyone can do just about anything they can imagine, from anywhere in the world and on any device. The breadth of opportunities, and the evolving demands of this first-of-its-kind platform, ensure that your avenues for growth are always expanding and flexible.
Join us and you’ll usher in a new category of human interaction while solving exceptional challenges that you won’t find anywhere else.
At Roblox, a deep understanding and measurement of users and creators' experience is critical to Roblox's rapid growth. The Analytical Data Engineering team is enabling Roblox's success through the development and maintenance of the Core Data model with an eye for scalability to support the analytical community and tooling to increase the speed at which we build data. As one of the founding members of the ADE team you will define best practices and standards for the analytical community and define technical strategy for Roblox's automated experimentation ETL strategy.
As an Analytical Data Engineer on experimentation you should be familiar with supporting Experimentation or structured ETL frameworks, and should leverage that knowledge to inform your design decisions and implementations. Our team's product will act as the interface between those defining experiments and the results of the variants across the Roblox experimentation platform. Scale is of the utmost importance as the Roblox continues it’s development of our world class experimentation data platform.
- A B.Sc. equivalent in CS or sufficient experience.
- 5+ years of professional experience working with scalable ETL pipelines on industry standard ETL orchestration tools (i.e. Airflow, Luigi, Prefect, Dagster, digdag.io, Google Cloud Composer, AWS Step Functions, Azure Data Factory, UC4, Control-M)
- 3+ years of building and tuning Spark workflows at TB scale
- Significant experience with at least one major cloud's suite of offerings (AWS, GCP, Azure) and willingness to learn another
- Developed frameworks or ETL templates that enabled highly structured workflow simplification
You May Have:
- Developed with Data Quality at the core of your pipelines (e.g. Great Expectations, Data Fold, etc.)
- Developed or enhanced ETL orchestrations tools
- Used statistical optimization techniques to reduce overall computation complexity
- Worked within standard GitOps workflow (branch and merge, PRs, CI / CD systems)
- Familiarity with infrastructure configuration (IaC [e.g. Terraform], cluster parameter tuning, service parameter tuning)
- Partner with our experimentation platform team to build and scale our experimentation data processing workflow.
- Design an extensible and scalable data model to support the experimental analysis and reporting
- Design, build, and maintain efficient and reliable data pipelines in batch and streaming to fuel the core data sets
- Build ETL Frameworks to scale and extend the sheer volume of experiments that are processed
- Analyze the use cases for the data to determine appropriate SLAs
- Analyze the incoming data and upstream pipelines to determine and minimize epistemological issues.
- Determine appropriate relaxations to deterministic compute where appropriate and leverage probabilistic data structures (bloom filters, count min sketch)
- Partner with the Data Platform Team to provide approximation algorithms (approximate nearest neighbor, etc.) for high use statistics of interest.
- Determine optimal caching strategies and eviction policies to support cost effective analysis
- Drive adoption of the Core Data tables and publicize new incoming datasets to ensure consistency across the organization
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- Free catered lunches five times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual CalTrain Go Pass
- A Roblox Admin badge for your avatar