Every day, tens of millions of people from around the world come to Roblox to play, learn, work, and socialize in immersive digital experiences created by the community.
Our vision is to build a platform that enables shared experiences among billions of users. This is what’s known as the metaverse: a persistent space where anyone can do just about anything they can imagine, from anywhere in the world and on any device. The breadth of opportunities, and the evolving demands of this first-of-its-kind platform, ensure that your avenues for growth are always expanding and flexible.
Join us and you’ll usher in a new category of human interaction while solving exceptional challenges that you won’t find anywhere else.
Roblox's engineering team is growing rapidly and we are looking for engineering leaders to help us scale. As a Technical Director in the Developer group, you will lead the technical vision of how Developers create their imagination on Roblox; this involves complex technical relationships between client, server, and backend compute, how developers persist data, and manage content. These products are mission critical and empower over 3 million Roblox creators every month to realize their imaginations, they serve millions of requests per second across a global user base.
At Roblox we move fast and ship code to production daily; your leadership will increase productivity by removing obstacles and keeping processes lean. You will identify and address risk and make sure the technology outpaces our growth. Roblox teams are inclusive, helpful, and have a strong sense of ownership over the things they build. If you have a desire to grow and learn, you will fit right in with our accomplished and ever-expanding engineering team.
- Battle ready: You have experience defining architecture for millions of users and are excited about technical challenges. You can be hands-on and still define an architecture from scratch and make sure it can scale from few users to hundreds of millions.
- Experienced: You have 10+ years of experience in large-scale software deployments with experience delivering highly performant technical solutions. You own a BS in Computer Science, MS/PhD are a definite plus.
- Knowledgeable: You understand all the components required to build modern large-scale infrastructure. You can recommend one route versus another and bring a team of engineers to agreement. You also love to pick up new technologies as the landscape evolves.
- Versatile: You're a jack of all trades and you have mastered several languages and technologies already; you easily adapt to any situation when the need arises and come with the right solution.
- Creative: You take a creative and strategic approach to solving hard problems and driving new tools/functionality for our developers
- Team-oriented: You have a magnetic personality that invigorates the team around you and you are used to lead technical teams in any situation.
- Become an expert on our technology stack and make sure we solve problems in the right way.
- Balance researching new technologies with a practical approach to realize the research efforts into the Roblox products.
- Author specs for new features and improvement.
- Lead other engineers by example and through technical direction.
- Work with different teams to improve existing and develop new functionality, pipelines, and workflow.
- Be guided by the company vision to put the Roblox community first and represent the company through thought leadership.
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- Free catered lunches five times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual CalTrain Go Pass
- A Roblox Admin badge for your avatar